Pelvic Floor Check
Are you confident you know how to correctly contract and relax your pelvic floor?
Have you ever wondered how strong your pelvic floor muscles are?
Every woman can benefit from a pelvic floor muscle check. Your pelvic floor muscles should be able to correctly contract and fully relax. You may not have symptoms now but if your pelvic floor muscles are weak or not relaxing, you could develop bladder leakage, prolapse or sexual pain. Prevention really is better than a cure.
Research shows that 50% of women cannot contract their pelvic floor muscles correctly following verbal or written instruction. In fact 25% of women use a technique that could weaken their pelvic floor. It is vital that you know how to correctly contract and relax your pelvic floor.
• Leaking urine when you cough, sneeze, exercise or on your way to the toilet
• Rushing to the toilet with an overwhelming urge to go
• Going to the toilet frequently
• Having your sleep interrupted by the need to urinate
• A feeling of vaginal dragging, heaviness or bulge
• Difficulty controlling your bowel & wind
• Painful sex
• Difficulty emptying your bladder or bowel
Possible Causes Of Pelvic Floor Problems:
• Pregnancy & childbirth
• Constipation & straining
• Ageing & menopause
• Chronic cough
• Heavy Lifting
• Strenuous sports
• Over-training of core / abdominal muscles
• Holding tension in the pelvic floor muscles due to stress
How We Can Help:
Research shows that a pelvic floor exercise program is only effective when prescribed under the guidance of a specifically trained Physiotherapist, rather than following information from a brochure or online. At Women’s & Men’s Health Physiotherapy we specialise in providing a personalised pelvic health program exclusively for you.
What To Expect:
• A thorough assessment to establish your goals, pelvic floor requirements and treatment plan
• Design of a personalised pelvic floor muscle exercise program
• Progression of your program and application to daily activities
Did You Know